“Being pregnant and giving birth are like crossing a narrow bridge. People can accompany you to the bridge. They can greet you on the other side. But you walk that bridge alone.” African Proverb
This resource page is a work in progress for a pregnant friend so I’ll keep it live while continue to update it over the next little while. Check back soon and feel free to comment if you have anything helpful to add for a new mom to be.
- Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care By Alan Greene
- In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto By Michael Pollan
- Your Pregnancy Week by Week By Glade B. Curtis and Judith Schuler
- The Healthy Pregnancy Book: Month by Month, Everything You Need to Know from America’s Baby Experts By William Sears and Martha Sears
Best film ever:
- Business of Being Born* (currently on netflix in Canada) *I strongly recommend every pregnant woman in North America watch this film.
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth (By Ina May Gaskin)
- Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth (By Boston Women’s Health Book Collective, Judy Norsigian)
- Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth (By Grantly Dick-Read and Ina May Gaskin)
- Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation (By Pam England CNM MA, Rob Horowitz Ph.D.)
- Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness (By Aviva Jill Romm)
- The Happiest Baby on the Block (By Harvey Karp M.D.)
- The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (By Elizabeth Pantley)
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (By Diane Wiessinger, Diana West, Teresa Pitman)
- Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent (By Meredith F. Small)
- The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost (By Jean Liedloff)
- The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two (By William Sears and Martha Sears)
- The Attachment Parenting Book (By William & Martha Sears)
- Baby Sleep Book (By William & Martha Sears)
Here is my article on a fundamental part of newborn care: Babywearing 101.
Here is my article on cloth diapering: Poop catchers
Here is my article on baby wipes: (note to self: write article on baby wipes)